Eugene Ciurana (http://ciurana.eu) is the VP of Technology at Badoo.com, one of the largest social networking sites in worldwide, and a cofounder of SOBA Labs, the most sophisticated public and private clouds management software. Eugene is also an open source evangelist who specializes in the design and implementation of mission-critical, high availability systems. He recently built scalable computational networks for leading financial, software, insurance, SaaS, government, and healthcare companies in the US, Japan, Mexico, and Europe. Eugene can be found on the Freenode IRC network (##java, #awk, #python, #mongodb) under the /nick pr3d4t0r.
3 Case Studies in NoSQL and Java in the Real World
Not-only-SQL systems can be applied in a large number of problem domains. In general, it's safe to say that NoSQL is a contender against traditional RDBMSs if data storage and retrieval needs aren't transactional. This presentation covers three case studies where traditional RDBMS approaches had been taken, and ultimately abandoned in favor of NoSQL document databases and massive, fast-access storage mechanisms. The presentation covers Java, mongoDB, HBase, GridFS, and HDFS, and provides insights into how each of of the applications were designed, deployed, refactored, and launched in production.
The No-Nonsense Guide to Hadoop and HBase in Enterprise Apps
Apache Hadoop is a scalable, high performance framework for building computational networks used in data extraction, manipulation, and analysis. This presentation covers how to implement Hadoop for development and production, and how to combine it with other enterprise class applications to build powerful applications that outperform traditional data warehousing and mining tools based on relational database technology at a fraction of the cost.
The attendee will learn how to:
- Identify the applications best suited for MapReduce and HBase
- Build cheap and powerful data warehouses using alternative technologies to RDBMSs
- Build domain-specific data analysis tools in Java and other programming languages that leverage MapReduce techniques
- Build development and production environments for Hadoop
- Provide sophisticated transactional data extraction using Mule integration
- Enable HBase to work with traditional enterprise apps through Mule integration
- Determine the advantages and disadvantages of using Sqoop and Flume in comparison with robust, enterprise integration techniques
- Deploy and manage large computational networks using ZooKeeper